Work on Octopus Watch is never done. There are always new feature to add to make the app better than ever. This page provides an overview of the currently planned changes that are coming to Octopus Watch. This list is not a guarantee. Features are only added once they meet all quality requirements. Ideas are added and removed from this list at all times without prior notice.
All of the ideas outlined on this page get one or more tags. Sometimes a bug is found that needs fixing . Other times the idea is for new functionality . Some of these ideas only apply to users who have an active subscription . And once an idea is ready – but not out yet – it is marked with a tag. Some ideas are limited to specific platforms. If this is the case they are explicitly marked with or .
Keep track of recent changes to Octopus Watch. Changes appear here as soon as they have been submitted for review. Once the update has been accepted an additional tag is added.
- Full support for electricity export.
- Fix DST bug that causes the energy report to crash.
- Correctly calculate the savings in pound in the History screen.
- When using export the credentials could be overwritten if you also have an Apple Watch.
- Creating an energy report on new accounts (less than 1 month of data) could cause the app to crash.
- Allow the app to pull in history data after 4PM when next day rates are not yet available.
These are the ideas that are currently worked on. There's a good chance these ideas will make it into a next update. However, until an idea gets the coveted tag there is no guarantee that it will be added.
- Show the export rates on the Rates tab for users on Agile export.
- Migrate the app back to the Amazon Appstore – provisional.
The app continues to work well on the Amazon Appstore, yet subscriptions rely on a Google-only service. With the release of a new library it looks like it is finally possible to update the Amazon Appstore version again and provide all the latest and greatest features.
Promising ideas are listed here. These are either small ideas that require some more time to mature, or big ideas that require time to implement.
- Provide hints as to whether a user should consider switching to Go.
- Prediction Model Updates
The prediction model is continuously improved. Predictions are calculated on an external system so that improvements can immediately make their way to everyone who has predictions turned on. A major update is currently in the work and uses more data to make more robust predictions.
The grab bag of green pastures and blue skies. The bold ideas that hold great promise, yet which may not be realisable.
Sometimes a feature looks promising but just doesn't make the cut. This is the list of features that are (currently) abandoned and no longer worked on.
- Scroll back to see rates for earlier in the day.
The use case is limited. This requires a substantial change to both the code and the user interface. The benefits do not currently warrant the work involved.
- Provide an X axis for the widget.
Technical limitations make this impossible at the moment.
- Baseload calculation for users with export and/or electricity storage.
Smart meters measure at the edge of your property. For users who only have an import meter it is realistic to treat this as a usage meter; the meter shows the usage throughout the house at any given time. For users with both an import and an export meter this is no longer the case. You can use electricity without it ever registering on the import meter (.e.g. by immediately using generated solar power).
- Increase history beyond 4 months.
Octopus Watch has to juggle a lot of data, from consumption to rates to CO2. To keep the app working well on all devices the current limit is set on 4 months of data.